Teaching & Learning - Senior Section
As students approach the end of their primary education, they spend two/three years in ‘Seniors’. Within the senior section, students develop their independence and responsibility in preparation for their transition to secondary school.
Whilst in the Senior School, students are encouraged to work collaboratively in an open plan environment. The students participate in many programs that foster independence, self-regulation, self -management, team work, resilience, responsibility and self-worth.
The Senior School promotes the learning of explicit skills to consolidate social, behavioural and academic learning through a broad curriculum and a variety of opportunities and challenges.
Some of the many extra-curricular activities are:
· School Leadership Program – each term Exit students prepare and deliver speeches to the senior section and staff about why they would make a good school leader. Once voted in school leaders perform many tasks including school tours, representing the school at special events, voicing student requests at Leadership meetings and assisting in school assemblies.
· Better Buddies – working with the Foundation students on a weekly basis and at whole school events.
· A canteen and meal preparation / Homecrafts program – once a week a rotating group of Senior students assist in preparing lunch orders for the whole school community. Each week students prepare their own lunch and participate in a shopping outreach program.
· Many school based and external sports opportunities – including athletics, team sports and game opportunities.
· Family Life and Life Ed – provided through external specialist services.
· Urban Camp – students participate in a three day Melbourne city camp visiting many wonderful landmarks and attractions including the Eureka Skydeck, Scienceworks, the Melbourne Zoo, a Yarra River Cruise and the MCG.
· Bike Camps – bike riding skills are taught as part of the sports program and opportunities to participate in various bike camps such as the ‘Blackwood Super Ride’ and the ‘Great Garfield Ride’ are available to selected riders.
· Senior Disco – a highlight of the year is the senior Disco that takes place in November and is a wonderful celebration for students and families.
· Recycling Programs – senior students run a recycling program throughout the school including paper recycling and composting.
· Secondary School Transition Program – a comprehensive orientation program is offered to enable a smooth transition to secondary school, supporting students in developing resilience towards and acceptance of change.
· Graduation – Vermont South Special School celebrates the Graduation of Exit students transitioning to secondary school through a ceremony in December where they are presented with certificates, Graduation books, Awards and autograph Bears.
Miss Marie Kosmas
Miss Georgia Ryan
Mrs Penny Silva
Ms Gerri Hooi
Mrs Jo Shell
Mrs Adrienne Barber